Granite countertops are known for their durability and beauty, but they are also quite a maintenance heavy and they need to be taken care of properly if you want them to last long. Here is everything you need to know about restoring granite countertops.
Quick Fix For Dull Countertops
Granite countertops seldom get damaged. They are the strongest and most durable material in the world of countertops, but what’s inevitable is the dullness that appears on the top of the surface of countertops, after having them for some time.
There are some ways to fix it, but first, you need to know the degree of severity of your dullness.
If the dullness is not as bad, then it’s good because it’s an easy fix. All you need is some dishwashing soap or detergent. Use something which has a regular pH and isn’t acidic. Using acidic things on your countertops will only ruin them.
Once you have your dish soap ready, use a soft microfiber cloth and use the detergent to scrub away the dullness of the countertops. This will make a world of a difference in the appearance of your countertops.
The dullness of the countertops is usually due to not cleaning them on a daily basis, so if you start making a habit of cleaning them every day, then this will not be a recurring problem for you.
What To Do For Etching?
Granite is a strong material, but its biggest foe is acid. You want to avoid the contact of granite with acids at all costs because this is what causes etching. Etching is the eating away of granite because of a reaction with acid. You’re left with small lines and holes, which are reasonably deep, on the countertop surface.
- For etched surfaces, the best way to rectify it is by using a polishing powder. This powder is available in a lot of colors and you can choose the one which matches your countertops.
- Once you have the polishing powder in the preferred color, you will need to mix it with water to form a paste and then this paste is applied to the areas where the surface is etched or where there are pesky stains.
- Leave it on the countertop for the allocated time mentioned in the instructions and then wipe it away with a clean rag.
This is going to transform your countertops and you can finish the job with a good wipe-down using a detergent and a wet washcloth. Your countertops will look good as new, the etched surface will disappear and there won’t be any ridiculous stains on your countertops.
Refinishing Granite Countertops
If you have had your countertops for a long time now and they are quite dull in appearance and the above-mentioned things are not working at all to improve the quality and look of the material, then it’s time to go about the last resort and that is refinishing your countertop.
Refinishing is a technique that is done by a professional and it is impossible to do it on your own. It involves sanding down the dull surface of the countertop and applying varnish and polish all over the countertop to make it shiny and lustrous again.
This can cost you a bit more money than the other restoring tips, but it is worth the splurge, especially if it’s been a long time and your countertops are getting way too dull.
Maintain The Shine Of Granite Counters
Here are some things you should do in order to maintain the shine of granite countertops.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals on the countertop surface.
- Use pH-balanced cleaners or, better yet, use soap and detergent for everyday cleaning. It’s cheap and won’t damage your countertops.
- Avoid cutting fruits and vegetables on the surface of countertops. Acidic foods like tomatoes, lemons, and citrus fruits can etch the countertop over time.
- Clean the countertops daily, so you don’t end up with dull surfaces and dried stains, which will be a nightmare to remove.
There you have it! These tips are amazing for making granite countertops look good as new again. You will be very pleased with the results. For best results, consult granite contractors Rockville who can restore your countertops with professional tools and techniques.